Juiced.GS is a publication that serves and represents the Apple II community. One way we fulfill that mission is by considering submissions from any retrocomputing enthusiast. While regular contributors are considered part of our staff, we are interested in receiving article pitches from others in the community as well.
Juiced.GS publishes articles on a wide variety of Apple II media, history, and personalities, including but not limited to:
- Reviews of hardware, software, films, and books
- Interviews with historical figures or contemporary enthusiasts
- Behind-the-scenes looks at something you developed
- Programming tutorials and techniques
- Emulation strategies
- Networking and telecommunications tricks
- Event coverage of retrocomputing conferences and conventions around the world
- Personal narratives: what you learned from the Apple II, your visit to a computer museum, etc.
If you would like to write for Juiced.GS, please send us your pitch! Describe your topic and angle, and provide links to any relevant work, such as the software being reviewed and samples of your own work. We do not accept unsolicited submissions, so please work with the editor first to flesh out the pitch before beginning writing.
Pitched articles should be no more than 2,800 words, or four pages. Depending on the topic, we may request graphical assets as well (photographs, screenshots, artwork, etc.) to complement the text. We pay an honorarium of $10 per printed page, rounded down to the nearest half-page, remunerated via PayPal or check.
Once the topic and angle are agreed upon, you're free to start writing! Juiced.GS has the following expectations of its writers, both staff and freelance:
- You'll make a reasonable effort to conform to proper rules of grammar and spelling, as well as to the Juiced.GS style guide. (The editor reserves the right to edit for clarity, accuracy, length, etc.)
- Your work is wholly your own and does not infringe on an existing copyright.
- We do not reprint written content that has appeared in another online or printed source, even in an edited form.
- Images that have appeared elsewhere are acceptable for use in Juiced.GS, provided permission is available from the original copyright holder (this includes Creative Commons).
- We do not publish content that encourages copyright infringement.
- You as the original author of the written work retain copyright; however, Juiced.GS requests a one-year exclusive on distribution of said article in any format. Any future distribution by the author should be negotiated with the publisher and include a link to Juiced.GS as the source of original publication.
- Juiced.GS retains indefinite right to republish your work in additional formats, including but not limited to PDFs, hardcopies, fixed media (CD-ROMs and USB drives), and international translations; as well as the right to reference you and your article in Juiced.GS indices, blog posts, archives, and other media.
- Drafts should be submitted in DOC, ODT, or RTF format.
- Issues are published every March, June, September, and December. Deadline for submission is the 15th of the month before publication. Expect to work on multiple revisions in response to feedback from the editor.
- Please include a one- to two-sentence bio with a link to your online presence, if any. This bio will be included at the end of the article, if possible; it may be edited or omitted for space.
We look forward to working with you and featuring your byline in Juiced.GS!